Thursday, July 14, 2011

The End is Near

Written in English on the back is,
"we could have a good time with you!! Thank you!!"
A student gave this to me today. She came to the English office and asked to see me, and when I stepped out she bowed deeply and presented this to me with both hands--the most polite way to present a gift in Japanese culture.

I was really touched, and after the ruckus I caused thanking the girl over and over just outside the office, all my coworkers wanted to see what I got. They were so jelly.

In one of my classes today, when I explained that I would be returning to America soon, one of my boys started to cry. He turned red with embarrassment, and he was literally crying tears. These aren't even little kids; they're teenagers. I wasn't really sure what to do, so I gave him some doodads from my prize basket to remember me by.

Until today, I hadn't realized how much my students really appreciate me. It's going to be seriously sad saying goodbye next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment