Sunday, October 17, 2010

Engrish - Part 1

English is a global language. Even in non-English speaking countries, English tends to pop up here and there on various advertisements, t-shirts, etc. This is especially true of Japan. When English is being used in a country where it is not widely spoken, awkward wording, misspellings, and some pretty outrageous things can end up in print. There is a website devoted to showcasing such linguistic looneyness called Engrish.com.

I'll never be able to match Engrish's collection, but here are some good one's I've spotted so far:

"Burger Dericious"
 
I actually wanted to try it, but I think they're out of business.

"Vegeta Oil"    
I was extremely amused by Vegeta Oil. We actually bought this, and I'm proud to say it's in on the shelf in our kitchen. Best vegetable oil ever! I don't have a picture of it, but I bought some drink called Goku at one point.

"Korean hot pebbles food"
Boy, I can't wait to try some hot pebbles food! Maybe it's a reference to potential gastrointestinal problems resulting from the consumption of said food.

"This is the most comfortable notebook you have ever run into.
You will feel like writing with it all the time."
- Primitive Brand Notebook
 
I don't have a graphic for this one, but it's something I saw printed on the front of one of my students' notebooks. It isn't exactly grammatically incorrect, it's just weird and made me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment